Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:10:42 -0600

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>> alright, thanks for sticking with this.  You are definitely now using
>> the latest code.  I believe the newest version of the ob-calc-eval
>> function should work -- at the very least it should give a nicer error
>> message.  Could you please require update again and let me know how it
>> goes?
>
> (for the list's benefit: Eric and I have had a few out-of-the-list
> exchanges but as everything now seems to be working fine, I thought I'd
> reconnect the thread to the list...)
>
> Eric,
>
> just to confirm that it all seems to work just fine from a cold boot of
> emacs without any extra (require 'ob-eval).  My babel configuration has
> the following:
>
> #+begin_src emacs_lisp
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>  'org-babel-load-languages
>  '((R . t)
>    (calc . t)
>    (ditaa . t)
> #+end_src
>
> and that's about it really.  Evaluating the calc examples you sent
> initially all work perfectly.

Fantastic.

> Using src_calc{5-2}, for instance, also works just fine for export.
>
> I now wonder if it would be worthwhile discussing the choices you have
> made regarding stack versus algebraic evaluation.  I would rather have
> the quote mean an algebraic expression, just from the simple reason that
> these will be longer than stack operations and so the overhead of a
> quote is smaller as a percentage of keystrokes...

Hmm, one point against prefixing the algebraic expressions is that they
would be more likely to be used by themselves in an inline code block.
Maybe there is a better way to recognize when a line is a stack vs. an
algebraic expression.  For example if the line is resolvable to a stack
operation (i.e. an element of '(+ - ...)) then treat it as such,
otherwise just treat it as an algebraic expression.

> Anyway, thanks for this.  I think this is going to be quite useful but
> it does mean really getting down and learning emacs calc...

Yes, I need to learn calc as well.