Re: [Orgmode] org-babel-gnuplot broken today?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel-gnuplot broken today?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:06:14 -0500

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Nigel Beck <address@hidden> wrote:
I refreshed today 7.01trans and noticed I couldn't get my gnuplots to
plot anymore: data from a table within the org file is no longer
digested nicely by gnuplot.

That's odd. I wrote the tutorial and thus my heart skipped a beat for a moment!

To test, I used the snippet below from the worg
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.php:

** Data Table Plot

Plotting data points from a table could look like this:
#+tblname: basic-plot

---- 8< ----

Exporting or executing the gnuplot piece, Gnuplot (Gnuplot 4.4 patch
 level 1) complains:

gnuplot> plot data u 1:2 w p lw 2 title 'x vs. y1', \

        No data in plot

So of course no basic-plot.png is created....

As far as I know, my gnuplots were happy sometime within the past week
refreshing org-mode from git basically daily...

That's odd indeed. I copied and pasted your exact table and code from the email and was able to generate the plot. The error is quite odd. It almost makes me wonder if something is different about how gnuplot is receiving the data. Like a syntax error or something. I would say that at this point it's not the table or code, per se, since I can generate the plot. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience who may have seen this error?

One thing to try in the meantime... Gather up some gnuplot test data file and try to run it from the command line perhaps? It would at least be one way to see if it's working outside of org-mode?

Best regards,
John