Re: [Orgmode] Re: Adding tags, grouping tags

From: Karl Maihofer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Adding tags, grouping tags
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:17:55 +0200

Carsten wrote:
2. A complex new structure that would somehow utilize properties to
   crease a tag-like parallel structure that can be used in searches.

I think it is a interesting idea to use properties for an "extended" use of tags.

My first attempt to implement my use of tags to organize my documents in orgmode:

* Title of the memo                                    :ATTACH:
 :PROPERTIES:
 :Attachments: Memo.pdf
 :ID:       e77dc30e-53c4-4dde-b451-e2g8aa8964c
 :Topic_ALL: Topic1 Topic2 Topic3
 :Client_ALL: Client1 Client2 Client3
 :Topic:
 :Client:
 :END:

I use an org-capture template that gives me the structure above to save new entries to my orgmode-based collection of documents. In the example above the name of the property item is something like a tag group. This enables me to insert tags easily (I can use "C-c C-x p Cl TAB RET" and then scroll through the possible values defined by *_ALL using the arrow keys). But since the client-entry can only have one value, the memo can concern different topics... but the property "Topic" can only have one value, of course.

I think it would not be nice to use "topic_one", "topic_two" and "topic_three" as properties to be prepared for these cases where an entry can have more than one value.

Any ideas on how to realize multible tags (being in the same group) per entry using the properties function?