Re: [Orgmode] Re: Adding tags, grouping tags

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Adding tags, grouping tags
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:14:32 -0400

On 10/25/2010 02:18 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the feeling that there are really two strands of
> discussion going on here.
>
> 1. A two-level or even hierarchical way to *enter* *normal* tags,
>    i.e. tags that are specified in the headline of a node.
>
> 2. A complex new structure that would somehow utilize properties to
>    crease a tag-like parallel structure that can be used in searches.
>
> Is this a correct view of what is being discussed?

I think so.

My impression is that the present normal tags are approaching their
limit.  A multi-level normal tag will probably be longer text, and one
core assumption of normal tags is that it is reasonable to display them
and simply append them to the end of the headline text.  With longer
tags and multiple tag contexts I expect this to soon cause problems that
are much more severe than just the problem of tag specification.

Since there exists the properties capability, a more complex structure
that is used in searches and display could be built upon that.

R Horn