[Orgmode] Vague, difficult to trace error on malformed habits

From: Joseph Buchignani
Subject: [Orgmode] Vague, difficult to trace error on malformed habits
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:11:18 +0800

Hi Org-Mode,

Today I receved the "stringp, nil" error when attempting to generate my agenda buffer.

By a process of gradually eliminating all the text in my org buffer and retesting, I eventually traced the error to a habit TODO item that I'd forgotten to give a repeating scheduled date. It was scheduled and had a small history, but the ".+1d" was missing. I added this and the agenda started working again.

Obviously I don't want to do this every time I forget to add recurrence to a habit. Since I know what I'm looking for now I can search for a scheduled tag for today's date that's missing recurrence.

However, other people may run into this error, be unable to reverse it due to a more complicated setup or whatever, and essentially have a broken org-mode. It would be great if the error were more verbose.

I read in the mailing lists that a newer version of org-mode gives an informative error. I am using 7.01h, which is the current stable version. Were they referring to a development version?

Thanks,
JB

--
Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a messy bloodbath.