[Orgmode] Re: text color + highlight

From: Vinh Nguyen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: text color + highlight
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:15:05 -0700

I'd like to write a concluding email for this thread for future
searchers to find.  This easy solution is brought to you by Eric
Schulte and Christian Moe.

Place the following in your .emacs or init.el file:
;; org-mode color
(org-add-link-type
 "color" nil
 (lambda (path desc format)p
  (cond
   ((eq format 'html)
    (format "<span style=\"color:%s;\">%s</span>" path desc))
   ((eq format 'latex)
    (format "{\\color{%s}%s}" path desc)))))
;; org-mode highlight
(org-add-link-type
 "hl" nil
 (lambda (path desc format)
  (cond
   ((eq format 'html)
    (format "<font style=\"background-color:%s;\">%s</font>" path desc))
   ((eq format 'latex)
    (format "\\colorbox{%s}{%s}" path desc))))) ;; require \usepackage{color}

Examples:
[[color:blue][test this out]]
[[hl:yellow][highlighted text]]

Remarks:
* Pros
  - don't need to modify org-mode source (just edit your .emacs)
  - use the existing links syntax
* Cons
  - cannot be used concurrently or with other formatting
* To Do
  - Hopefully it will be implemented via extensible syntax in the
future ($[options mytext])
  - highlight and color paragraph or region

-- Vinh