Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org file rendering/manipulation too slow

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org file rendering/manipulation too slow
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 00:08:01 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:

> HI Nicholas, thanks for the reply,
>
> >How long does it take for emacs to show
> >you the file?
>
> From the moment I press <enter> on the minibuffer to the moment the
> whole file is rendered, it takes about 3 seconds. So, it does take
> longer than I would expect.
>
> I have a 10-months old Macbook, and its specs are quite recent, check
> out (from System Profiler):
>
>   Model Name: MacBook
>   Model Identifier:   MacBook6,1
>   Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
>   Processor Speed:    2.26 GHz
>   Number Of Processors:       1
>   Total Number Of Cores:      2
>   L2 Cache:   3 MB
>   Memory:     4 GB
>   Bus Speed:  1.07 GHz
>   Boot ROM Version:   MB61.00C8.B00
>   SMC Version (system):       1.51f53
>   Serial Number (system):     W89483Q78PX
>   Hardware UUID:      413C6EF2-12B3-5C38-A3CA-5A1F924867D7
>   Sudden Motion Sensor:
>   State:      Enabled
>
> So, the system is quite capable and is definetly should not be the bottleneck.

It depends of course on what *else* you are running, but prima facie,
swapping doesn't look to be the problem. Nevertheless, is a disk going
wild while you are opening the file?

> What I note though is that when I open this big org file and try to
> naviagate around, the Emacs.app CPU usage goes up to 100% and then
> gradually goes down to 0 as I stop giving any other commands. Check
> out the screenshot below:
>
> http://i56.tinypic.com/123sbcj.png

Does this happen when you open *any* large file or only when you open
the org file (and iirc, it was not a very big file: smaller than 1Mb?)

> When I run "ps awlx | grep emacs", I get the following output:
>
>  >501  5733  5578   0  31  0  2425520    168 -      R+   s000
> 0:00.00 grep emacs

This is the wrong process: this is the line for the "grep emacs"
command, not for emacs itself. Maybe try "grep Emacs"? I don't know
what the emacs command name is on OSX.

> It is really unfortunate that org-mode runs like this on OSX. I can't
> really think of anything else I could use to manage my personal
> information and todo lists, but handling big orgfiles, as of now, is
> really starting to be a blocker :-(

But is it org mode that runs like this? or something else? The elp stats
showed that org-mode was pretty much in the noise.

Nick