Re: [Orgmode] Re: a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:07:08 -0500

Markus Heller wrote:
Erik Iverson <address@hidden> writes:

John,

Thank you for your reply.

For those that don't want to read all that follows, please note my
conclusion, given here:

Since orgmode is automatically telling latex to use T1 encoding,
perhaps we should somewhere document to the user that Type 1
fonts should be available to get the best looking PDF possible.
Otherwise, type 3 fonts will be substituted. I got suitable
Type-1 fonts by installing the texlive-fonts-extra package
under Ubuntu.

Note that T1 *font encoding* has nothing to do with Type 1 fonts!

Yes, thank you.  I gathered that eventually, but it did take some
time to appreciate they are completely different concepts.  Is
the following correct?

Some Type 1 fonts *support* the T1 encoding.  Computer Modern is
not one of those, so you need some that do.  CM-super or Latin
Modern are two Type 1 font packages that do support the T1 encoding.

As far as I understand, you need Type 1 fonts for good looking pdfs
(Type 3 are bitmap fonts and thus not scalable), but the actual font
encoding shouldn't matter.

Yes! But as I think(?) I discovered, when T1 encoding is specified,
the Type 1 Computer Modern fonts don't support it, and therefore
are not included in the PDF. In my case, a Type 3 font was substituted
that looked nasty.  I needed to install proper Type 1 fonts that support
the T1 encoding, like Cm-super or Latin Modern.

Since orgmode is telling latex to use T1 encoding by default, I was
bitten by the fact that I had no Type 1 fonts that supported this
encoding, with my bare-bones latex install from a relatively common
Linux distro.

My message is just serving as information about how to get those fonts.

Thanks!