[Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: [Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:34:08 -0500

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can

1) reproduce what I'm seeing
2) help in understanding what's going on.

If I export an Org file to LaTeX, the resulting
.tex file contains the following in its header:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{t1enc}

Long story short:

The resulting .PDF file from pdflatex looks quite
bad in evince, and quite good in Acroread. By "quite bad",
I mean the fonts are practically illegible, very thin
and wiry.

If I comment out *both* of those package requirements,
recompile the PDF, the resulting PDF looks great in all
viewers I can find.

The Fonts specified in the Properties of the document
change when I use those packages versus not use them.

However, the packages are the default for good reason I'm sure,
but C-c C-e d fires up Evince on my system, so the default
is not very pleasant.

I realize this isn't org-mode question per se, but can
anyone else replicate this, and do you know what's happening?
It seems like a potential problem with Evince specifically, since
Acroread seems to handle the resulting PDF just fine.

Finally, does anyone know why the t1enc package is required, the
only thing I read about it was the following:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=t1enc

Thanks!
Erik