[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:29:18 +0200

Hello,

> Glauber Alex Dias Prado writes:
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1 Error when pressing M-RET in second line after list
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> - Example item1
>> - Exmaple item2
>>
>> With cursor position at "@", M-RET throws an error

This is now fixed.

>> 2 Incompatibility 1
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> - Example 1
>> - Ex 2
>>
>> This used to be outside of the list.  The HTML exporter still treats
>> it as being outside of the list.  The LaTeX exporter treats it as
>> part of the last item.  If I add a second empty line, then both
>> exporters handle it well.
>>
>> So this breaks with documented properties of the lists.  I guess
>> this is unavoidable because this is just how the new list definition
>> works.  But it will break existing documents when exported to LaTeX

According to the new list definition, LaTeX exporter is correct here.
Now, DocBook and HTML exporters will also treat it as being part of
the last item (unless `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' is t,
obviously).

>> 3 Text between two sublists
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> - Ex1
>> - Ex2
>>   - Ex2a
>>   - Ex2b
>>   Some text between two sublists
>>   - A new list starts
>>
>> This always was an inconsistency between HTML and LaTeX export, and it
>> still is now.  There seems to be no way now to do what I intend here,
>> putting some text between two lists.

I removed this inconsistency (see 2.).

Alas, what you want to achieve here isn't possible. Lists are now a
strong structural element. Think of them as mini headings. Indentation
of body means nothing in both of them. In the case of headings, only
the number of stars matters, while lists only pay attention to
indentation of bullets.

There's somewhat a workaround though, as you can indent the very first
item of a list to any column, making this possible:

- List 1, item 1
  - List 1, sub item 1

Some comments after list 1 has ended

  - List 2, item 1
  - List 2, item 2

- List 3, item 1

While there are in fact 3 different lists, it more or less looks like
what you want to do (and it could be cleaner with
`org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' set to t). Please note that
trick won't survive an export.

If export matters, there are quote blocks, or verbatim, or example.
But I won't teach you all of this! ;)

> preferably not only for lists, something like:

> * some stuff
>   quick intro
> ** nest 1
>    stuff about nest1
>   now what i dont think is possible and dont even know if it is usually
>   done on latex something that belongs to some stuff and is in between
>   nest 1 and 2, i find it usefull for commenting on nests(thats why
>   i miss it) and looks like it is the same thing you are wishing for lists?
>   My use case for this is mostly note-taking.
> ** nest 2
>    stuff about nest2

> could be also usefull, if it makes sense, btw the lists are taking shape :).

You are right, this is exactly the same problem. I think there are 2
ways to handle this:

1. either indentation brings information, and there can't possibly be
   a working automatic indentation (like previous list implementation)
   as you can never tell for sure if current line is badly indented or
   sending information on something.

2. either indentation is given by structural elements (like headings
   in your example) and there's no "in between nest 1 and 2".

Since Org is about structure, option 2 is, in my opinion, clearly the
way to go.

Regards,

-- Nicolas