[Orgmode] Re: Fixing slowness of following Gnus links to IMAP articles

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Fixing slowness of following Gnus links to IMAP articles
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:03:55 +0200

Hi Tassilo and David,

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> David Maus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Now the strange thing is that the novcache file in ~/News/overview is
>> 100% identical to .overview in ~/News/agent
>
> Two are better than one!  (I have no idea why.)
>
>> ,----
>> | address@hidden ~/News % md5sum
>> overview/nnimap/localhost/INBOX/1280089306/novcache
>> agent/nnimap/localhost/INBOX/.overview
>> | b4a78e25a064f0c260f76080a00991cd
>> overview/nnimap/localhost/INBOX/1280089306/novcache
>> | b4a78e25a064f0c260f76080a00991cd  agent/nnimap/localhost/INBOX/.overview
>> | address@hidden ~/News %
>> `----
>>
>> Anyway: `nnimap-retrieve-headers-from-file' does not work as expected.
>> First, it requires the group parameter without backend and server
>> prefix (e.g. "INBOX" instead of "nnimap+localhost:INBOX".
>
> I've expected that.
>
>> Second it would return a cons (min-UID . max-UID).  That wouldn't help
>> us, would it?
>
> What an appropriately named function that is. ;-) No, that wouldn't
> help.  But its code could be stolen to write and own function to insert
> the right NOV file in a temp buffer, to search for the message-id.
> Something like that:
>
> (defun org-gnus-nnimap-get-article-number (group server message-id)
>   (with-current-buffer nntp-server-buffer
>     (let ((nov (nnimap-group-overview-filename group server)))
>       (when (file-exists-p nov)
>       (mm-insert-file-contents nov)
>       (set-buffer-modified-p nil)
>       (when (search-forward message-id nil t)
>         (goto-char (line-beginning-position))
>         (read (current-buffer)))))))
>
> That function is totally untested, but might do what it should.

Just to say I'm back online -- after a week holiday and an almost nil access
to the newsgroups.

Thanks a lot for trying to get Gnus better behaving in face of slow servers
like Courier...

Do "you" want me to test something special to move things forward?

FYI, here is the state (for months or years) of the 3 vars you mentionned in
the thread:

- nnimap-nov-is-evil is nil
- gnus-agent is nil
- gnus-agent-cache is t