[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:08:52 -0400

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Hi David, Tassilo and Nick,
>
> David Maus wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn wrote:
> address@hidden />nc -vv mail imap

> Did twice the same request. Did take twice 5 mins...

> In my case, the culprit seems well to be our mail server, then.
>
>> Couldn't find this information in the tread: Is it slow for a particular
>> message or slow on Inbox.work in general?
>
> I answered this in the early beginning of the thread: time taken for opening
> the link seems to be (linearly?) dependant on the size of the mail groups.
>
> In INBOX.mc (the group for all work-related emails, containing ~27,000
> emails), it takes ~5 mins to open a link from Org.
>
> In other normally-sized groups (a couple of 100's of emails), it took a couple
> of seconds (> 10 s).
>
> Maybe a problem is that I keep all of my emails (but the spams...) since the
> beginning: now, over 140,000 emails entered my INBOX -- only the spams left
> it.
>
> What would be your pieces of advice in such a case? Do I need to test
> something extra? Get a local imap server? Others (like asking for fixing the
> search on our Courier mail server)?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Hi Sébastien,

I have an IMAP server on my local 100MB/sec network and one of my (spam)
folders has 148200 messages in it.  If I link to one of those messages
in Gnus, close Gnus, and access the link from org-mode it finds the
email in 13 seconds (8 seconds if Gnus is already open which is how I
normally leave it running)

If you are accessing your mail server on a slower network then that will
adversely affect your response times.

Mirroring your mail server with offline imap or some other tool and
linking to the local mirror might help your access times.  I've never
used that myself but others have reported success with this.

I also keep all of my emails except for SPAM which I clear out
periodically (it seems I'm due for that again ;)

Regards,
Bernt