[Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] tangling with leaving non-source code lines as emp

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [BABEL] tangling with leaving non-source code lines as empty lines?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:04:53 -0700

Hi Rainer,

If I'm understand you correctly you want the absolute position (by LOC)
of the lines of R code to be the same in both the original org file and
the tangled file or R code.  I don't think this is possible.  It is
possible to tangle code blocks in any order (not just the order in which
they appear in the original org file), so there are many valid tangling
scenarios in which this feature could not work.

Rather, I think that it may make sense to have a function for jumping
back and forth between tangled code blocks and the related Org file.  In
that case the R errors could be followed to the tangled R code file,
from which you could easily jump to the relevant line in the relevant
code block in the Org file.  If you are tangling with comments, then it
should be possible to have a function called from a line in a tangled
code file which when called

1) finds it's enclosing comments
2) remembers it's offset from the comments (which would then be it's
   offset in the code block in the Org file)
3) read the comment to learn which code block in which Org file it's
   tangled from
4) jump to the relevant line, in the relevant block, in the relevant
   file

Similarly when called form within a code block in an Org file the
function could

1) read it's header argument to find the relevant tangled code file
2) jump to that file
3) use the comments in that file to move to the appropriate section of
   code and related line

I'll think about such a function, and if it makes sense to implement it
apart from a more general "activate org-mode links in comments" minor
mode.  Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks -- Eric