[Orgmode] Re: Beamer presentation in the document

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer presentation in the document
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:34:11 +0200

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Thanks a lot. I'll update tomorrow morning and test all of this.

Later than said... I come back to this.

>>> See the example below [1], is it sufficient to squeeze the #+results line
>>> in between the #+attr_latex line and the table? If not I'll update the
>>> results handling so that we allow preservation of comment lines
>>> between #+results and it's contents.
>>
>> Why only preserving comment lines? Why couldn't we imagine having the code
>> somewhere and the results much farther? Even twice the results -- that'd be
>> a work around for the echo command.
>
> This is another feature which may not be well enough advertised.
>
> If a code block is named, then we already allow the block and it's results
> to live arbitrarily far apart as long as they're in the same buffer e.g.
> [1].
>
> That allows for separation of code and results which I think is an important
> feature.

OK. I did not take enough attention when reading. I thought you only preserved
comment lines between the call and the results. No, you were speaking of
comment lines between the #+results line and the actual result contents.

> What I don't want to separate by too far is the
>
>   #+results: name
>
> line, and the actual results. Mainly because the purpose of that
> #+results: line is to identify the results.  Given that I think allowing
> a continuous string of comment lines between a #+results and it's target
> e.g.
>
> #+results: time
> # some comment about the time
> : Thu Jun 10 14:48:09 2010
> : Thu Jun 10 14:47:58 2010
>
> is acceptable, but I think allowing arbitrary distance between them subverts
> the purpose of the #+results: line.
>
> I hope that sheds some light on this issue.
>
> Please let me know if you agree/disagree of if you do think comment
> separation like the above does make sense, in which case I'll add it to the
> queue.

The above makes perfectly sense to me. If I were you, I would never allow
separation between the #+results line and the actual results, for the same
reason as you invoked: the #+results line is for identifying the actual
results.

Though, allowing comment lines is a great feature (even, if I don't use it yet).

>>> done.

I just updated Org this morning, and I can't remove the echo snippet from the
Org buffer. Do I have to do something extra regarding the lob?

#+TITLE:     Complete Minimal Example
#+AUTHOR:    Sébastien Vauban
#+EMAIL:     address@hidden
#+DATE:      2010-06-21
#+LANGUAGE:  en_US

# This code block won't show in any export
#+source: echo
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var tab='(("echo")) :exports none
  tab
#+end_src

* Document

** Results

   #+ATTR_LaTeX: align=lr
   #+tblname: rate-&-interests
   | Rate (%) |  Interests |
   |----------+------------|
   |     3.50 | 2564935.21 |
   |     4.50 | 3297773.83 |
   |     5.50 | 4030612.46 |
   |----------+------------|
   |    13.50 | 9893321.50 |
   #+TBLFM: @5$1=vsum(@address@hidden);%.2f::@5$2=vsum(@address@hidden);%.2f

* Presentation

  Amounts -- here is the table

  #+call: echo(tab=rate-&-interests) :exports results :hlines yes

  #+ATTR_LaTeX: align=lr

  This line does not hinder the "echo table" operation to succeed.

  #+results: echo(tab=rate-&-interests)
  | Rate (%) |  Interests |
  |----------+------------|
  |      3.5 | 2564935.21 |
  |      4.5 | 3297773.83 |
  |      5.5 | 4030612.46 |
  |----------+------------|
  |     13.5 |  9893321.5 |

  and the small explanation.

Two extra comments:

- Why don't you make `:hlines yes' the default value?  I guess, if we wanna
  copy a table, it's "as it is" by default, so with hlines and all...

- Not really a detail: the "echo" is perfect, but for the decimal precision.
  The `%.2f' spec is not preserved, as you can see above. That'd be great if
  it could be.

Best regards and *many thanks* as always,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban