Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:02:29 -0500

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:26 AM, David Maus <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy wrote:
>Idea 2: Far more likely

>What about feeds? I've been playing around with the info here:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/ msg22964.html

>I've been able to publish a feed to a .atom file and subscribe to it
>from Notes. I can't quite get the description and TODO properties to
>register, yet, but you at least get the headlines. Can we work on
>creating a format that would work for this?  I think it's a pretty
>cool idea and could allow for updating org files, publishing them to
>a site or file

>Thoughts?

Using Atom feeds would be... awesome.  Atom indeed has the potential
to publish not just news about a web page project but things like,
say, Todo lists.

Agreed - my thoughts as well.

So /if/ Lotus Notes is capable of updating it's todo lists via Atom
the remaining question is: Which information must be present where in
the Atom document.  Could you take look in the Lotus Notes help (if
present) if there is any information on how to update todo lists by
Atom documents?

I've been searching all kinds of things... converting todos, importing todos, syncing todos, etc. in an effort to scrape up something of use to this idea, but haven't really found anything. Probably stupid, but one interesting program (I actually ran into this a ways back) is GCalDaemon which can do all kinds of things. Here's a post on converting a feed into a calendar entry in Mozilla Sunbird: http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage3.html

Again, probably not really applicable, but interesting nonetheless.

The only thing I can think of is creating a somewhat hackish system of titling the items in org to be exported to Atom something like 'TODO: blah blah' so they show up in the Notes feed with that title. Then in Notes, pop open the feed reader and go from there? It would be more of a reminder system, but then one would need to remember to mark things as done once back in org, and remove it from the publishing list once it was done?

Not sure where to go... quite the interesting idea, though. My company blocks POP and IMAP so I can't get at personal email or calendar from google via Notes. I say this because the feeds, however, do still work so it's pretty cool that this feature could be a universally accessible method.

John