Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX package dependencies

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX package dependencies
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:14:08 +0100

On Mar 26, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Karsten Heymann wrote:

Hi,

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:
Carsten Dominik wrote:
I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
packages to be available:

* t1enc
* textcomp
* marvosym
* wasysym
* MnSymbol

On Debian GNU/Linux "Testing" these packages are available:

,----
| t1enc texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/ t1enc.sty | textcomp texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/ base/textcomp.sty | marvosym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/ latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty | wasysym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/ latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty | MnSymbol texlive-fonts-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/ mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
`----

A small note on this: anything that's in tex/latex/base can be trusted
to be included in any LaTeX installation (newer than ~10 years, probably
;-) ). Regarding marvosym, wasysym, mnsymbol: I think they are quite
popular, but I would recommend to ship simple-text-alternatives via
\providecommand for all symbols used from these packages.

Hi Karsten,

seems like you know what you are talking about. So maybe you can help me with this.

I would like to

1. Require these packages with \usepackage or similar, but not
   have an error thrown when they are not available

2. Provide, as you say, alternative versions with providecommand.
   How would I do this?  What do you mean by simple-text-alternatives?

Thanks!

- Carsten