Re: [Orgmode] publishing, and :auto-index

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] publishing, and :auto-index
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:25:36 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>Hi,

>I am wondering is anyone is using the :auto-index functionality with
>Org publishing.

I'm not using it on my publishing projects but intend to use it as the
place I can hook in to publish an atom feed for multiple input files
of a project.  For this "index" fits as good or bad as "sitemap" would
do.

>The fact that this is called "index" is driving me crazy, and I would
>like to rename this and all related properties to "sitemap.
>Thus :auto-sitemap, :sitemap-style, :sitemap-title etc etc

IMO the problem with the /function's/ name is that even "sitemap" is
to specific or, in other words, creating a sitemap for a project is a
special use case of a preparation function.

Compared with current functionality of :preparation-function,
:index-function is a better implementation of a preparation function
because the project is passed to it as an argument.

So a correct implementation could look like:

,----
| :sitemap-style 'tree
| :sitemap-title "Sitemap"
| :sitemap-filename "sitemap.org"
| :preparation-function 'org-publish-org-sitemap
`----

Reducing :index-function to a :preparation-function while keeping the
benefits of :index-function (i.e. project as argument) would introduce
a backward incompatible change.  But a least with a good argument, I
think.

 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6