[Orgmode] Re: Clocking feature request

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Clocking feature request
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:38:55 +0100

Hi Moabi2000 and Manish,

Manish wrote:
> Moabi2000 wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban :
>>> I have a feature request around clocking.
>>>
>>> Currently, we know how much time we spend on tasks since the beginning (it
>>> depends the file contents). For example, having one clock file per month,
>>> I always see in the modeline how much time I spent reading mails since
>>> March 1st.
>>>
>>> Though, I think it'd be very interesting to know how much time I spent
>>> reading mails *today* as well. This can help me distributing my work
>>> better.
>>
>> Putting this under each task you clock in will give you time today.
>>
>> :PROPERTIES:
>>  :CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL: today
>> :END:
>>
>> I don't you can show both time to today and time for the file at once
>> though.
>
> please check out variable org-clock-modeline-total.  and a clock
> report can show the time for monthly time consumption.

Thanks for your answers, which both show me that I can override the default
globally and per item.

I guess that not seeing both together won't be such a problem (I'll see with
usage but...) as we can have reports quickly generated.

Thank you very much!

Though, the only *remaining nice feature* would maybe be the following: add a
letter indicating what's the meaning of the total. For example, we could see

    `T 02:51 (Reading Emails)'

for a total limited to *today* and

    `M 02:51 (Reading Emails)'

for a total limited to *monthly*.

What do you think of that?  Otherwise, it becomes difficult to distinguish
between locally overridden totals and the global default value...

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban