Re: [Orgmode] Unique IDs, not so unique - SOLVED

From: David A. Gershman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Unique IDs, not so unique - SOLVED
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:18:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

My memory was right, it *is* a timing issue.  The internal 'org' routine
generates unique IDs using some accuracy time values (not sure if its 1
second or what).  However, 'org-mobile-push' demands IDs at a rate of
several per second...thus duplicate IDs.

If you slow the ID generation down at at most 1 per second, IDs are all
unique and 'org-mobile-push' generates beautiful files which are viewed
beautifully in MobileOrg...beautiful!

Obviously slowing down the ID generation to at most 1 per second isn't
desirable, but it does show the issue is time.

If interested, to slow it down I created a perl script:

  #!/bin/perl
  sleep 1;
  print join( '', localtime() );

and set 'org-id-method' to external program (used 'org-customize') and
just named my script 'uuidgen'.

Any thoughts on how to increase the time accuracy for the internal 'org'
routine or perhaps have the routine check to see if a currently
generated ID is the same as the last ID generated.  If so, wait a sec
and then re-generate.

On a side note, my life is chaos so Thank You so much to Carsten and
Richard for making two wonderful programs that allow me to sort out my
life and take it with me.  You guys are awesome!

David A. Gershman
address@hidden
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman