[Orgmode] Re: Org and LaTeX tables

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org and LaTeX tables
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:10:13 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>
>>  In the PDF output, I need to have tables somehow highlighted. For example,
>>  by placing a border around them, or by putting a background color.
>>
>>  Some months ago, I did that by using =org-special-blocks=, such in the
>>  following example:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_shaded
>>  |   Code |    1st |    2nd |
>>  |--------+--------+--------|
>>  | 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
>>  | 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
>> #+END_shaded
>>
>>  But =org-special-blocks= turns out to be incompatible with Org- babel, and
>>  since the latter grows in importance...
>>
>> ** Quoting LaTeX code
>>
>> #+LaTeX: \begin{shaded}
>>  |   Code |    1st |    2nd |
>>  |--------+--------+--------|
>>  | 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
>>  | 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
>> #+LaTeX: \end{shaded}
>>
>>   Is there any other working alternative to get the power of Org tables and
>>   LaTeX code surrounding them, in order to get this:
>>
>> \begin{shaded}
>> \begin{tabular}{rrr}
>>   Code  &     1st  &     2nd  \\
>> \hline
>> 361-94  &  830.00  &  830.00  \\
>> 364-91  &    0.00  &  347.00  \\
>> \end{tabular}
>> \end{shaded}
>
> Here is a dirty trick that might work. Environments are only detected if
> they are the first thing in a new line:
>
> #+LaTeX: {}\begin{shaded}
>  |   Code |    1st |    2nd |
>  |--------+--------+--------|
>  | 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
>  | 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
> #+LaTeX: \end{shaded}

That DOES work. Thanks a lot.

Now, regarding "long term" (whatever it means), can I count on that feature to
still be supported in the future?

Or would/should such a feature be implemented in a different manner?  Am I the
only one having that need?  Can others give a feedback on this?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban