Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org and LaTeX tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org and LaTeX tables
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:27:19 +0100

On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
On Jan 6, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

In the PDF output, I need to have tables somehow highlighted. For example,
by placing a border around them, or by putting a background color.

Some months ago, I did that by using =org-special-blocks=, such in the
following example:

#+BEGIN_shaded
|   Code |    1st |    2nd |
|--------+--------+--------|
| 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
| 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
#+END_shaded

But =org-special-blocks= turns out to be incompatible with Org- babel, and
since the latter grows in importance...

** Quoting LaTeX code

#+LaTeX: \begin{shaded}
|   Code |    1st |    2nd |
|--------+--------+--------|
| 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
| 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
#+LaTeX: \end{shaded}

Is there any other working alternative to get the power of Org tables and
 LaTeX code surrounding them, in order to get this:

\begin{shaded}
\begin{tabular}{rrr}
 Code  &     1st  &     2nd  \\
\hline
361-94  &  830.00  &  830.00  \\
364-91  &    0.00  &  347.00  \\
\end{tabular}
\end{shaded}

Here is a dirty trick that might work. Environments are only detected if
they are the first thing in a new line:

#+LaTeX: {}\begin{shaded}
|   Code |    1st |    2nd |
|--------+--------+--------|
| 361-94 | 830.00 | 830.00 |
| 364-91 |   0.00 | 347.00 |
#+LaTeX: \end{shaded}

That DOES work. Thanks a lot.

Now, regarding "long term" (whatever it means), can I count on that feature to
still be supported in the future?

Or would/should such a feature be implemented in a different manner? Am I the
only one having that need?  Can others give a feedback on this?

I think Chris Gray's special blocks were actually not a bad idea
for this kind of problem.  What is the source of the
incompatibility with babel?

- Carsten