Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bug with time summary in column view?

From: James TD Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:34:53 +0000

Hi Norbert,

On 2009-11-25 08:25:08(-0400), Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Norbert Zeh [2009.11.25  543 -0400]:
> Alright, while we're at it ;), here's another somewhat unexpected
> behaviour.  I'm not even sure this should be considered a bug, but it's
> more a matter of defining what the right behaviour should be.

It seems like a bug to me, in that the effort summary for the day will be wrong.

> If I have an entry with an effort estimate of, say, 1:00 and it is shown
> in today's agenda because it is scheduled today and the deadline is in 2
> days, the 1:00 time effort is counted twice in the effort summary for
> the day.  To me, this doesn't make much sense, as it's only one task,
> not two.  So, if I were to choose how to treat this situation, I would
> simply say that all entries shown because of their deadline should not
> be listed in this summary.  Then, of course, this may not be the right
> rule in all situations.
>
> Any ideas how one could let the user specify on a per-column basis
> whether entries shown because of a deadline should be included in the
> summary or not?

I think this will be quite complicated to fix. There are multiple reasons an
item can appear in the agenda: active timestamps, deadlines, scheduling, and in
log mode clocked time and inactive timestamps, so any solution would need to
handle all of those. As far as column view is concerned each line in the agenda
is a different item.

If we attach a property to each line in the agenda indicating where it came from
(using org ids or similar), the summary calculation code for the agenda could
skip entries it had already seen, though I'm not sure it's the right thing to do
for all summary types.

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/address@hidden>-|