Re: [Orgmode] Documentation wishlist items

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Documentation wishlist items
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:10:46 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Here is some kind of outline for such a tutorial.
>
> Wow.  That an outline for a full book!
>
> And I guess that's what comes at the horizon: an (O-Reilly) book about
> Org-mode.  It would not compete with the manual as a reference, but it
> would make it easier to more people to open Org's doors.

OK, let's just start it. I'd like to have the tutorial on
orgmode.org/worg. But I'm not yet sure about the structure.

Option (A)
  is, to create an .../worg/the-org-tutorial/index.org, that just
  contains an index to the chapters. Each chapter goes to a single file
  in that directory.

Option (B)
  Put the entire thing into one big file. This has the advantage, that
  we wouldn't need to create any extra directories on worg:
  orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/the-org-tutorial.org

  |                            | (A) Multiple files | (B) Monolitic |
  |----------------------------+--------------------+---------------|
  | Outlining a skeleton       | -                  | +             |
  | Restructure                | -                  | +             |
  | Multiple editors           | +                  | -             |
  | Distribution (e.g. as PDF) | -                  | +             |
  | Easy navigation            | +                  | -             |
  | Sum                        | -1                 | +1            |

Thoughts?

BTW: The first user in the tutorial is called Allice. I wanted to call
her Trillian, but I'm afraid, people would let her add tasks, that are
not easily understood :-D

The readers are supposed to use their brain to understand Org-mode...

  Sebastian