[Orgmode] Re: Documentation wishlist items

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Documentation wishlist items
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:56:18 -0400

Ethan <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for the mail Ethan.  I approached Org ... I don't know, a few
years ago having really really taken advantage of Outline.  I promptly
made a mess, trying things I thought I needed to and went back to
Outline and organization that was natural to me.  The experience helped
me formulate goals and I came back to Org only weeks ago armed with
fairly precise ideas.

    The fundamental problem is that org-mode isn't a planner, it isn't
    an organizer. It's a toolkit full of tools which people use
    differently, in lots of ways, to build their own
    planner/organizer. To understand org-mode, you have to understand
    all of the tools available, and the options you have for each, and
    the ways they interact with the other tools.

Nah, to understand what Org can do for me, I needed to understand myself
and my limitations.

    In my opinion, the documentation doesn't explore the interactions
    well enough, it doesn't present the tools in an order that is
    conducive to learning, and it never explains why you might choose
    one option of tool instead of another.

Right.  That documentation has evolved in the little time I've been
reading it.  It does explain, and so does this list that the fundamental
... um, primary action is to quickly Capture.  That's how I came to Org
this time---getting a ~/.notes file going.  Capturing fleeting thoughts
and appending them to that file and then discerning what and how to
organize them.

[...]

    I wish I could offer more concrete improvements in the form of
    patches and so on! Maybe as I learn more about org-mode I can do
    this too, but I wanted to offer this criticism while it was still
    fresh in my mind.

... Just captured something my six year-old daughter said on the phone.
I should concentrate on her.  I'll do <F8> (remember's bound to it)
several more times in talking with her.