Re: [Orgmode] Re: RSI

From: Dave Täht
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: RSI
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:42:44 -0600

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> First of all I am interested in improving the use of the modifier
> keys. To see what my preferences for moving them are read my (cisum)
> post here http://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2552#p2552 and
> follow both links there.

I am quite carpal, and do a few things to compensate for it.

I map capslock to control, always.

I use abbrev-mode for stuff like "I don't wouldn't shouldn't I'd and
I'm", so I just type them lower case, without the quote, and abbrev
expands them for me.

(I would love it if someone wrote a clever routine to figure out when to
use it's vs its, I can't ever get it right anyway. Something that would
activate at the end of a sentence, look for an obvious verb, and take a
best guess at the possessive or contraction form, but I digress...)

I use auto-capitalize-mode to handle sentence starts and, also, words like
Linux and LISP also get the correct casing treatment. (I'd love to have a
much bigger list of abbrevs, I should go looking for one)

These two modes in combination almost eliminates entirely my need to hit
the shift key.

In addition to cntrl-h being backspace, so is control-j.

In text modes, I have been known to remap ; and ' to return. I figure
for a few computer languages (like python) I could do that, too. I find
making this context switch kind of hard (and it drives other people
nuts)), however, I'd stopped doing it, until recently, because I wasn't
running my life out of emacs and other apps don't take kindly to losing
those keys.

Although I agree with many of xah lee's suggestions (
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html) about remapping
emacs more ergonomically, he's wrong about meta.

The second easiest thing for me to hit, after caps-lock, is the chord of
capslock+shift. It's easier than alt or meta by far. That said, I have
only mapped that to a few things because I just can't seem to stop using
cntrl-x for commands, it's too ingrained. I'd like to save future
generations pain, however...

(Mostly where I remapped something that was normally cntrl-whatever, I made
it cntrl-shift-whatever)

I used to have a BTC keyboard with a split spacebar, half backspace,
half space. Loved it. Why the spacebar has to be so huge and the other
keys relatively so tiny bothers me a lot.

Given the relative flexibility of my thumbs, I wouldn't mind a triply
split keyboard spacebar - backspace, space, and control.

I keep meaning, one of these days, to figure out how to invert the upper
row of the keyboard by default. I find it much easier to type numbers on
the keypad, anyway, and hitting shift to get to address@hidden&*() seems
redundant.

--
Dave Taht