[Orgmode] Re: Customizing main Agenda view??

From: Paul Mead
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:53:17 +0100

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that you'd like to
> customize the agenda view but you don't want a custom agenda view? I'm
> not sure how that would work. ;)

No, I want to customize the daily agenda view so that it shows my
everything it does already, plus my STARTED todos. Or, make a custom
agenda which does that. I don't have a problem with using custom agenda
views, but the only ones I've been able to create are just lists of
todos, with no diary grid, etc.

> Or is it rather that the keybinding C-c a a is "hardwired" -- i.e.,
> you'd like a custom agenda view mapped to that keybinding?
>
> Here are two solutions:
>
> 1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("a" "Agenda"
>        ((agenda "")
>         (todo "STARTED")))))
>
> 2. For minimal customization, you could set the variable
>    org-agenda-include-all-todo to t.
>
> In this second scenario, all your active todos will be added to a
> section *above* the daily agenda view. Then you can browse your
> "STARTED" todos. E.g., if you want to stick with basic emacs tools
> (rather than custom agenda commands), you could use "occur" to see all
> filter out your STARTED todos.

I'll try this to see if it suits, but I can see straight away that the
clutter might be too much. That's the whole problem with custom agenda
views, that I end up with too many items when all I want to see in the
normal course of the day is the diary grid and the dated and started
tasks.

> A more complex option: If you want to be able to filter for your STARTED
> todos you could set org-todo-state-tag-triggers to tag each of your
> items with a custom tag, e.g., STARTED, whenever you switch to the
> STARTED todo state. Then typing / "STARTED" in the agenda view would
> show you only your started todos.

I'm guessing that the triggers are only there for tags, not dates
otherwise this would be ideal. Maybe I'll have to manually schedule
anything I mark as STARTED. It's the extra step which is going to get
forgotten unfortunately.

> Best,
> Matt

Thanks for your suggestions!