Re: [Orgmode] overzealous file link creation

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] overzealous file link creation
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:32:28 +0200

On Aug 12, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Manish wrote:

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Dan Davison wrote:
Recently I've been randomly losing the string 'file' from all sorts of
documents. Up until now I had no explanation. It's not the sort of
question one wants to ask on public mailing lists.

OK, so if you call org-cycle "in the vicinity" of a word that starts
with the string 'file', then it eats up 'file' and prompts for link
insertion. This is true in buffers that are not in org-mode or
orgstruct*-mode. (I call org-cycle the whole time in order to use
outline-minor-mode, but o-m-m doesn't have to be turned on to cause
this.)

Try putting the following fragment into python-mode, and getting rid of the asterisks. Then org-cycle issued with point at any of the asterisked
locations eats the string 'file' and prompts for a link.

def f(filepath):
print(
  *filepath*)*
*
*def g(arg):
return arg

This is with latest git.

Tried the test with following text with numbers removed.

def f(filepath):
print(
  1filepath2)3
4
5def g(arg):
return arg

With buffer in python mode, I executed org-cycle at the positions marked with
numbers and got the results below:

at 1,2,3: nothing happens
at 4: inserts a tab (four spaces in my case)
at 5: eats the line with "return arg" (also can not revert this change
with undo.)

Hi Manish,

the line is not eaten, it is hidden by outline. However, since you have not turned on outline-minor-mode, you do not see the ellipsis.

A TAB is inserted because in places where org-cycle cannot do anything, it emulates TAB.

I guess I should refactor org-cycle into a function that does only cycling, and one that does all the rest...

- Carsten

The buffer "looks" as if it ends at "def g(arg):" line but when I tried to paste the resultant buffer with "return arg" removed, I got the following
strange result.

def f(filepath):
  print(
      filepath)

def g(arg):
  return arg
  return arg

  return arg

I tried it several times, also tried saving the buffer and opening it in that
other editor as well.

Tested with git commit 5834ad01b617430c0207627ad425758bcf9b921a of
"Tue Aug 11 16:32:05 2009 +0200"

--
Manish