[Orgmode] Subfloats in LaTeX

From: Tim Burt
Subject: [Orgmode] Subfloats in LaTeX
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:27:39 -0400

Raffi ---

The answer addresses the question behind "I've never tried to do this in
LaTeX", where 'this' is a group of figures.

> Dear community,
>
> How do I stick a group of figures together (i.e. so that I have Fig. 1
> and then a, b, c)?
The short answer is to use the ~\subfloat~ command from the =subfig=
package.  The package can be found on CTAN at
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/subfig/.

The following LaTeX document source demonstrates the technique,
including how to identify and reference subfigures.
#+begin_src latex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{subfig}
\begin{document}

\begin{figure}
  \centering
  \subfloat[Red eye, up horn.]{\includegraphics[width=0.33\textwidth]{nrocinu}}
  \hfill
  \subfloat[More
right-looking]{\includegraphics[width=0.33\textwidth]{nrocinu2}}
  \\
  \subfloat[Geometric,
right-looking]{\includegraphics[width=0.33\textwidth]{nrocinu3}}
  \hfill
  \subfloat[[Geometric, left-looking (and a bit
jagged)]{\includegraphics[width=0.33\textwidth]{nrocinu4}}
  \\
  \mbox{}\hfill
  \subfloat[More depth of
character\label{fig:curr}]{\includegraphics[width=0.33\textwidth]{org-mode-unicorn}}
  \hfill\mbox{}
  \caption{The changing styles of the org-mode unicorn.}
  \label{fig:all}
\end{figure}
%
The unicorns in Figure~\ref{fig:all} are the JPEG versions found on
\texttt{http://orgmode.org/img}.
Figure~\ref{fig:all}\subref{fig:curr} is the current form on
\texttt{http://orgmode.org}.

\end{document}
#+end_src