[Orgmode] further on compiling development version of org-mode without m

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] further on compiling development version of org-mode without make command
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 22:52:52 +0100

Hello again,

Although Sebastian's elisp code was perfect for batch compiling the
lisp/*.el files in the org distribution, it doesn't address one key
element of the make step required: the creation of the
org-install.el file.

I've (with my rather rudimentary elisp skills) modified the function
as follows to incorporate the commands from the Makefile which are
used to create the org-install.el file:

;; functions from Sebastian Rose <address@hidden>
;; to compile all org files in lieu of a make utility,
;; modified by me to create and compile the org-install.el file
(defvar my/org-lisp-directory "~/git/org-mode/lisp"
  "Directory where your org-mode files live.")
;; adjust my/org-lisp-directory:
(setq my/org-lisp-directory "~/git/org-mode/lisp")
(defun my/compile-org()
  "Compile all *.el files that come with org-mode."
  (interactive)
  (dired my/org-lisp-directory)
  (dired-mark-files-regexp "\\.el$")
  (setq list-of-org-files (dired-get-marked-files))
  (dired-do-load)
  (dired-do-byte-compile)
  ;; create the org-install file
  (require 'autoload)
  (setq esf/org-install-file (concat my/org-lisp-directory "org-install.el"))
  (find-file esf/org-install-file)
  (erase-buffer)
  (mapc (lambda (x)
          (generate-file-autoloads x))
        list-of-org-files
        )
  (insert "\n(provide (quote org-install))\n")
  (save-buffer)
  (byte-compile-file esf/org-install-file)

)

Comments of any sort are more than welcome!  It seems to work (but
only time will tell).  Actually, I probably need to delete any
existing org-install.el file first... any suggestions on the best way
to do this would be more than welcome!

Thanks,
eric