[Orgmode] Re: Orgmode for research information management

From: Chris Gray
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Orgmode for research information management
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:06:02 +0200

Graham Smith wrote:

> I have used several information management tools over the years, but I
> am trying to use Emacs/orgmode more. There are many examples of people
> using Orgmode for time management type tasks, but not a lot on
> information management.

> I would be interested in any insights into  how people use orgmode for
> information management eg. gathering information for scientific paper.

For me, it works great because it is so easy to use as an outliner.  I
have also been using it to write papers.  When I do this, I use it like
a glorified LaTeX.  The real advantage there is the ability to show and
hide sections.  The only disadvantage that I have found with the LaTeX
export is that it is best to use \( and \) rather than $ to enter and
exit math mode because org has some trouble parsing the $ across line
breaks.  But that is minor, and your fingers will get used to it if you
use a lot of math.

However, I still keep all my references in a separate
database (I use the Zotero plugin for Firefox, which I export to
bibtex).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris