Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature suggestion: context sensitive movement

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature suggestion: context sensitive movement
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:04:35 -0500

On Thu Jun 18 2009 at 07:02, Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Rick Moynihan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I was just thinking that often I want to jump around items in
>> org-mode more quickly than I do at present, depending on the context
>> of the point.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> * Foo
>>  blah blah blah
>> * Bar |
>> blah blah blah
>> * Baz
>>
>> Assuming the point is located at | I might want to quickly jump to
>> previous headings by pushing CTRL-<up>/<down>.
>
> For navigating headlines, I use C-c C-n
> (outline-next-visible-heading), C-c C-p
> (outline-previous-visible-heading). There are other commands available
> as well (see the menu entry Org --> Navigate Headings).
>
> I'm not aware of context detection related to such movement.

allout.el has a great setup for this - when the cursor is at a
headline's "hotspot" (on the '#' in, for example, ".#3 header"), 'n' and
'p' can be used to navigate through the visible headers, landing on each
header's '#'.  From the hotspot you can also cycle visibility with 'h'
(hide) and 's' (show).

Every time I navigate among headers in orgmode, I miss this allout
functionality.

Cheers -

bw
--