Re: [Orgmode] timer for a task

From: Konstantin Antipin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] timer for a task
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 00:13:46 +0200

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On May 26, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:
>
>> Carsten, thank you for explanation.
>> Hopefully, I will get FSF papers soon.
>>
>> In a meanwhile, here is another patch that introduces following changes:
>>
>>   In case we set effort estimate on the currently clocked item,
>>   show message when time is up (notification is shown only once)
>>    * Linux only: If libnotify is used - the standard notification
>>      system in linux, then show notification with it.
>>      Note: Additional package libnotify-bin should be installed.
>>  Additionally, if variable org-clock-sound is set, interpret it as
>> path to sound file
>>  and play it (wav files only).
>>    * If aplay (tool from alsa - standard linux sound system) is
>> available play sound
>>      with it (all type of files).
>>
>> So, if someone has interest in this features, please try it.
>> I also would like to discuss If we want this functionality (sound and
>> notification) in the core,
>> or it is better to put it to the extension... Or, just introduce
>> another variable that controls if we show notification or not...
>
> I think we can put this into the core if:
>
> - this will work without crashing on any system where Emacs runs on,
>  i.e. if the re is no way to play a sound file, fall back to (ding)
>  with a message or so...
Well, I made it such, that
* If you are using linux
* and if you have libnotify or aplay in your $PATH, then libnotify or
aplay will be used.
If not, use simple message and emacs-beep.
It should not break things...

>> TODO:
>> * As proposed by Daniel, give user an option to see total time, spend
>> on the task instead of currently clocked time.
>> In fact, this functionality requires refactoring of org-clock-sum
>> function. Is it ok, if I do it?
>
> Maybe you don't really need to refactor it:
>
>    (save-restriction
>      (org-narrow-to-subtree)
>      (org-clock-sum)
>      org-clock-file-total-minutes)
>
> will give you the total clocked time in minutes.

Coool! so elegantly simple!
I used it in the current patch.
DONE:  Show total clocked time in mode line.
           (Instead of time since last start)
In fact, now I simply changed the default behavior - now mode-line
shows total clocked time,
without giving user a preference. I thought it is more logical
behavior... Or should I introduce defcustom that controls it?

Probably I am sending too much patches around :)
Just a suggestion: why don't we use github for org-mode hosting? It
would be soooo simple to contribute
and to manage things! You would only benefit from this, Carsten.;)
Github is a really nice service. And free, of course.
Transition to it would be a breeze as well. I can help, if needed with this...

Konstantin