[Orgmode] Re: two questions (insert checkbox/ dired to org)

From: henry atting
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: two questions (insert checkbox/ dired to org)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 17:20:18 +0200

On Di, Mai 05 2009, Nick Dokos wrote:

> henry atting <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> What is the underlying command for this shortcut:
>>
>> M-S-<RET>
>>     Insert a new item with a checkbox
>>

> org-insert-todo-heading - it just happens to do special things in
> special cases. At the end of a plain list item or a checkbox item, it
> calls (org-insert-item 'checkbox) instead of inserting a todo heading.
>
>> It does not work for me (if cursor is in a plain list already),
>> so I have to fill in checkboxes with C-c C-x C-b.
>>

> What does it do? And don't forget to provide version information
> both for org-mode and for emacs.

GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1) of
2009-05-01 on elegiac, modified by Debian
Org-mode version 6.26trans

Mmh, I found out that it works. Normally if I see a key binding like
M-S-RET I would use ESC-S-RET, but in this case the output of C-h k is:

ESC <S-return> (translated from <escape> <S-return>) is undefined

So if use alt-S-RET it works fine, but usually I never use alt for `M'.

>> Another question: Is it possible to do something like dired-to-org,
>> where the directory structure (including the subdirectories) is
>> written to an org file?
> [...]
> I think this would be fairly easy to implement and there are many ways
> to do it, but:
>
> I have seen requests like this before and I must admit I don't understand
> why this would be useful. So this is is a useless rant from your point of
> view, but maybe you could explain: what is the use of this? If you want to
> be able to get to all of the files/subdirectories of the directory, why not
> add a single link to the top-level directory in your org file and then use
> the facilities of dired from there? Why is it important to have links to all
> the files?

When I am pondering about my request I am not so sure anymore if it
would be really usefull. But then again at first I found it helpfull to have
something like a table of contents where all the files are hierarchically
listed.
However the main inconvenience of such a construct is that each
alteration of the files or subdirectories would make this file
increasingly useless. One would have to create this file anew whenever
you modify something.
So something like linking to a directory is really much better. :)

henry