Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view?

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:43:57 -0600

Matthew Lundin wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have a @car category that I use to keep track of things I might want
>> to do when out in the car.  Getting the agenda view *almost* works for
>> this.  But often an item here indicates that I should visit some store,
>> and underneath the item is a list of things to purchase.  The agenda
>> view, of course, suppresses that list.  This means that printing out (or
>> pushing to my palm) the agenda view isn't really what I want.  I'd
>> really like to have the subtree below the matching items (because I know
>> the subtree is always trivial).
>>
>> I *think* I should be able to do this with a custom agenda command,
>> using sparse trees, but I'm having a couple of problems figuring this out:
>>
>> 1.  I don't really want a sparse tree, because I don't want anything
>> "upstream" of the selected items.
>
> See the variable org-show-hierarchy-above.
>
>> 2.  I want to force the matches to be expanded.
>
> See the variable org-show-entry-below.
>
>> 3.  I want to match on a tag (@car) *and* on a TODO tag "TODO".  I may
>> be missing something, but I don't see any obvious conjunctive matching
>> command in the sparse tree or agenda codes.
>
> C-c / T address@hidden"TODO"
>
>> Is there any existing way to do this, or should I start rooting around
>> in the code?
>
> For a custom agenda command:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("f" tags-tree "+car+TODO=\"TODO\""
>        ((org-show-entry-below t)
>         (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))
>           ;; other commands
>         ))
>
> I believe all of this is in the manual of the most recent version of
> org.

Thank you very much for the tutorial Matt.  Yes, it's all there, now
that you pointed me in the right direction, but it's scattered hither
and yon and I simply wasn't able to pull all the pieces together without
some hand-holding.

In particular, the variable settings weren't near the agenda discussion,
and are not in the index.  Question:  would it be useful to add a
variable index to the info file?  If it is, and there isn't someone more
texinfo competent than me to do it, I'll look into seeing how hard it
would be to do this.

Also, in the manual and code there's no real discussion of how the
settings part of the org-agenda-custom-commands is to be used.  I mean,
it's clear that they are variable bindings, but there's no use case.

Would it be reasonable to modify your example above into an example to
be added to the texinfo file?  I would be happy to have a whack if this
seems like a good idea.

best,