[Orgmode] Re: Org and Ledger

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org and Ledger
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:58:06 -0500

> I have never used ledger, and so I have no picture in my head of
> what would be useful.  Maybe we should have a discussion of ideas
> here?

I think Russell Adams gives a hint at the problem:

> I'm faced with needing the ability to integrate it into some business
> workflows (ie: expense reporting, invoicing cycles, tax reporting,
> etc) which I'll have to write all of the logic myself. I can use
> Ledger for the data, but I have to code the workflows I require.

With the introduction of org-invoice, I can begin to see my way through
this muddled mess.

Ideally, when I generate an invoice, I could verify that all was correct
and invoke some sort of “send-to-client” function that would make an
entry in ledger's “Accounts Receivable” as well as emailing the invoice
to the client (or updating FreshBooks, or what have you).

Another idea is budgeting: Org and its tables seems like natural fit
for this.  If I could easily tie org to ledger accounts, maybe I could
see when I'm spending more than is budgeted.

Or if I keep track of a “TO BUY” list in org and need to save money for
some big ticket item, maybe I could have Org query ledger to see how
much money I have saved.

Pie-in-the-sky ideas, and my use of ledger as-yet is non-existent, but
this would really help.

Mark.