Re: Org and Ledger (was: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org Invoice 1.0.0)

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Org and Ledger (was: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org Invoice 1.0.0)
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:51:56 -0600

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 11:25:32PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> John Wiegley also asked me recently if there would be a path for
> intergating
> Org with ledger in some way, because apparently this has been brought up
> on the ledger mailing list.  I have never used ledger, and so I have no
> picture in my head of what would be useful.  Maybe we should have a
> discussion of ideas here?
>
> - Carsten

Ledger rocks as a double entry accounting tool. I've been using it for
some basic accounting, expense reports, and more with latex & perl. I
even wrote a CSV importer (CSV2Ledger) that provides much of the
functionality I felt was missing from importers in other packages (ie:
Gnucash).

On the flip side, Ledger is exactly that, a double entry accounting
tool. Not more, or less. I'm faced with needing the ability to
integrate it into some business workflows (ie: expense reporting,
invoicing cycles, tax reporting, etc) which I'll have to write all of
the logic myself. I can use Ledger for the data, but I have to code
the workflows I require.

I've been struggling with this for several months, because I want to
avoid solutions like Quickbooks that provide a workflow coupled to an
accounting backend with proprietary formats in that other OS. I'm
certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden