Re: [Orgmode] searchable refcard?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] searchable refcard?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:54:48 +0100

Hi Alan,

I have been thinking about this some more.  As Nat has pointed
out, the problem with the pdf can be fixed by using pdftex to
produce it, and maybe I should improve my standard procedure
to do just that.

OK, about a separate, new, searchable reference written in
Org-mode.  First of all, I am not sure if automatic production
can be made to work well.  Second, the PDF reference card has
been squeezed and optimized a lot to fit on a single A4, it is
as comprehensive as possible with this restriction, but incomplete
nonetheless.  In particular the meaning of prefix arguments
is often not mentioned, and some less important keys are not given.

With this restriction gone, we could make a *better* quick
reference, and I think we should seize this opportunity.
I can see two ways to do this.

1. Make a much more comprehensive reference by copying
all the key descriptions from the manual.  This would mean
going into the TeXInfo source and basically extracting everything
in the
    @table @kbd .... @end table
sections, with appropriate headings.  This would make a quite long
reference, may be too long and too much duplication compared to the
manual itself.

2. Start from the current tex file for the quick reference
 and then go through the manual to see if things are
 missing and add them, in a similarly compact way.
 Or, even easier, start from the org-help you published
 earlier, but still make an effort to make this more complete.

I think (2) may be more realistic, and I would be willing to help
fill in missing things, I think I know quite well which these are.
Examples can be taken from things that are still in the
orgcard.tex file but are commented out to save space.  Another thing
that would be good is a summary of the Markup Rules, of
Export options specified with #+OPTIONS, #+TITLE etc,
of #+STARTUP stuff etc.

Another thing to improve is lines like this:

   - archive the subtree                               $ / a / A

This is too compact and does not say what kind of archiving
will be done with each of these keys.

Keeping this reference up-to-date would be relatively simple,
because I do mention all changed key bindings in the release note.
So maintaining this reference would mean carefully reading the Notes
for each official release and adding/changing 1 or 2 lines of
the reference.

- Carsten