Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember

From: James TD Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 02:00:51 +0000

Hi Ben,

On 2008-11-24 11:50:53(+0200), Ben Alexander wrote:
> On 2008-Nov-24, at 04:25, address@hidden wrote:
> > ** Automatic sorting
> >
> Right now, I have a :SORT: property in my property drawer which looks
> like:
>    :SORT: C-c S-6 p
> This is just a reminder to me for the key chord I need to play to get
> the sort I want.  It's conveniently located near the headline and not
> too hard to open and read when I need to resort manually.
>
> It seems to me that having an hook like 'org-remember-after-filing
> would allow people to choose what kinds of updating they wanted done
> after a remember template was used.   Mixing this with different types
> of templates may take some care: you don't want to run all the hooks
> inside a save-excursion if the point to to allow the hook to move
> point to a special place, but then all hooks would have to be written
> with that in mind. Perhaps the hooks should be run inside a (let )
> with some official bindings for markers for the following:
>   - org-remember-marker-to-beginning-of-new-text
>   - org-remember-marker-to-end-of-new-text
>   - org-remember-marker-to-parent-headline (perhaps most useful for
> non-headline remember templates)
>   - org-remember-template-type

This is basically how I was thinking of implementing the sort after filing (and
the other post-commit update functions).

> But automatic sorting seems useful in many other contexts (like after
> scheduling or rescheduling an item, or changing priority, or editing
> the headline text) so perhaps some wishes/ideas from the list would be
> appropriate.  Could org-mode take ownership of the :SORT: property for
> headlines, and have a org-sort-file-using-property (or a org-sort-
> headline-using-property) which could be added to hook lists where-ever
> the user wanted?

I think it would be rather difficult to get automatic sorting working for
editing the headline text. Org doesn't have hook lists for priority or
scheduling changes either.

I do like the idea of defining a default sort for a tree. We would need
a :SORT_KEY: property as well, for sorting by property or table column, and a
#+SORT: facility for file level sorting. The property could be used to determine
a default sort for org-sort, with a new option added to select the default
(maybe C-c ^ RET).

> Or is this too specific?  Would it be nice to have plain lists (or
> checkboxed lists) have some kind of sort property too? Where could a
> user store this data so it could be easy to see but also easy to ignore.

I'm not sure it's necessary to be able to do this in plain lists. If a plain
list item has enough activity under it to need sorting on a regular basis its
probably worth promoting it to a headline.

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/address@hidden>-|