Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:57:11 -0600

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 09:58:49AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi James, I do like all this.  A few comments:
>
> On Nov 24, 2008, at 12:25 AM, James TD Smith wrote:
>
>> ** Adding non-headline items
>>
>>  For some time I have wanted to be able to use remember to add
>> checklist
>>  entries and table rows as well as org headlines. To configure this, a
>> :type
>>  parameter will be added to the template, which can be either headline
>> (the
>>  default), list, checklist or table.
>>
>>  - Table rows.
>
> This is an awesome idea, as are plain list items and checkboxes.
>
> For plain list items, I guess the right thing would be to select the
> first plain list under the headline, there might be several.
> Also, the first table under a headline, in case there are more.

Table rows would rock!

> I would like to add here
>
>   - Non-org items, to simply be appended to a file.
>     I believe Russel Adams had a request about this, on how to use
>     remember to add entries to a ledger file, for which using a
>     template would be nice.  The problem is that Org currently requires
>     the target file to be in Org-mode - for good reasons, because all
>     kinds of Org stuff will be executed when the new entry is added.
>     We should allow for the results of a remember template to be added
>     to a non-Org file.

This style of adding to non-org files essentially makes remember a
template generated data entry front end for arbitrary text.

This would make the ledger file easy. My idea was to use remember to
quickly enter time/expenses/mileage into my ledger.

Thanks for your efforts!

Russell Adams                            address@hidden