Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode idea?

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode idea?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:22:32 -0600

On 6 Nov 2008, Dennis Groves wrote:

> I recently suffered a loss of data on my main computer. And as such I
> really want to get my data into a git repository and have that backed
> up regularly.
>
> (but I have been in management now for so long my developer tech
> skills have really suffered - and this stuff isn't as obvious as it
> once was...)

I did this.  There are a lot of places you could start on something like
this; I think John Wiegley's PDF on how to use Git was mentioned
yesterday, and that was pretty good.

The great thing about Git is that you can either treat this like
traditional source control, and set up a central repository somewhere
that gets backed up, or you can just clone the one you maintain on your
main computer to your server that gets backed up sometimes.  In either
place you have the complete history of your changes.

For myself, I have a primary system that is live on the internet, so I
can get my files from anywhere (with SSH, anyway).  Then my main place
to actually use the org files is on my laptop running Windows, and I do
most things there and regularly push commits in just so I have the
backup.  Then I have my main computer at home, a Debian system, and when
I'm at home that's often the place where I "live" with my org files.
Git handles this stuff pretty straightforwardly.

If I were to do it over again, though, I might not bother with the
central one, assuming that I was getting regular backups with one of the
other two "main" computers.

> Now my idea is this could agenda be made to read the subdirectories
> recursively and scan the files there in for todo's? Sorta, like a
> compile?  Or could I have a single file that is simply a list of all
> the files to look into in order to create my agenda?

For this you want to look at (info "(org)Agenda files") for everything
you need.  You can certainly do the second one out of the box.  I have
it reading everything in the top level of my org directory, then I
manually add things in the subdirectories, because sometimes I'm messing
with something that I don't want in the ordinary agenda.  You can
manually add a file that you're in right now with "C-c [" as you can see
from the info link above.

Then you could get really crazy and start having multiple
agendas... like a lot of people on here seem to be doing (and I just
started, and I am hooked on it).
--
Charles Sebold                                     7th of November, 2008
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) | Gnus v5.11 | org-mode 6.11pre01