[Orgmode] Re: Proposed patch for customizable org-table-export

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Proposed patch for customizable org-table-export
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:41:54 -0400

"Colin Williams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've created the custom variable org-table-export-delimiter so that the user
> may customize the string that delimits the columns exported.
>
> I believe this is useful because in some areas (namely, my office) people
> insist on the files being in csv (comma separated values).
>
> I've also noticed (but haven't bothered fixing yet) that if a field contains
> the delimiter string (be it a tab or a comma), then the resulting exported
> file has misaligned columns.  In csv format, this is remedied by surround
> the offending columns in double quotes.  I'm not sure, but I believe tab
> separated format usually handles separator character disambiguation in a
> similar way.
>
> I've attached the patch for my change, but as this patch is the first thing
> I've contributed to org-mode, I'm still waiting on the paperwork from the
> gnu foundation.  Also, I've actually never contributed a patch to a free
> project before, so I'm sorry if the patch file is incorrectly formatted.

My version of org-mode already exports in CSV format just fine.

I create a test file

,----[ x.org ]
| | Z     | B     |     C |       D |
| |-------+-------+-------+---------|
| | 1     | 2     |     3 |       4 |
| | 7,234 | 7,222 | 154.0 |      11 |
| | abc   | def   |   ghi | jkl,lmn |
`----

M-x org-table-export

prompts for a filename (x.csv)

and a format orgtbl-to-csv

and I get this

,----[ x.csv ]
| Z,B,C,D
| 1,2,3,4
| "7,234","7,222",154.0,11
| abc,def,ghi,"jkl,lmn"
`----

I have the following settings in my .emacs since I export to CSV by
default

,----
| (setq org-table-export-default-format "orgtbl-to-csv")
`----

Org-mode version 6.10c (release_6.10c-20-g17c55f1 <- from git describe)
which is 20 commits after the release_6.10c tag on commit
17c55f1b10b2ad77b830bc057c722ffc99611337
^^^^^^^

This has been available for a long time I believe.

-Bernt