[Orgmode] Loading/browsing WAITING tasks on incoming Gnus messages

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: [Orgmode] Loading/browsing WAITING tasks on incoming Gnus messages
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:11:34 -0500

I have an interesting hole in my use of org-mode and Gnus for managing
my daily workflow.  My overall scheme is roughly GTD-ish, and I have a
WAITING todo keyword to indicate "tasks" which are waiting items.

The hole, though, is this: I don't necessarily remember what all is in
my waiting list (that's why I have Org!), and I also don't think to
constantly check it.  Most of my waiting tasks, though, pertain to
e-mail;  it'd be really nice if Gnus would somehow alert me that the
message I'm reading may pertain to some task in my waiting list.
Ideally by bringing up a window (perhaps at the bottom of the frame,
under or above the BBDB window if there is one) listing all the WAITING
items this message may apply to.

Generally, e-mail-related WAITING items may be waiting on a couple of
different things: either a reply to some message I have sent (I have
functions in place so that my mails are linked to from Org by Message-Id
rather than folder/number, so References header matches may be helpful
here), or a message from some person (who probably has an entry in my
BBDB).  The message from that person may or may not clear the waiting
status, but it'd be nice to at least know "this person that e-mailed you
has 2 WAITING items", and I can then go deal with them as appropriate if
the e-mail is applicable.

Do any others have advice or ways they achieve behavior like this in
Org?

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.