[Orgmode] spreadsheet in org

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] spreadsheet in org
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 01:50:48 +0200

Here is a straightforward spreadsheet:

* Test org-mode spreadsheet for cash books

|   | Name             |           Cash |
|---+------------------+----------------|
| _ |                  |    cashforward |
|   |                  |          68000 |
| _ |                  |       cashtake |
|   | cash takings     |           2340 |
| _ |                  |       cashbank |
|   | moved to bank    |           2000 |
|---+------------------+----------------|
| _ |                  |           cash |
| # | subtotal         |          68340 |
|---+------------------+----------------|
|   | emp1             |            315 |
|   | emp2             |            289 |
|   |                  |              0 |
|   |                  |              0 |
|---+------------------+----------------|
| _ |                  |          wages |
| # | total wages      |            604 |
|---+------------------+----------------|
| _ |                  | cashafterwages |
| # | Cash After Wages |          67736 |
|---+------------------+----------------|
#+TBLFM:
$cash=$cashforward+$cashtake-$cashbank::$cashafterwages=$cash-$wages::$wages=vsum(@address@hidden)

My questions are:

Can one not actually name a specific cell? Or must the name itself be
stored above or below the cell?

The wages field : how to generalise this to allow for rows to be
added/deleted in the emp1,emp2 block?

Or is there a totally better way to do this? I didnt see a way for all
fields to auto calculate when a certain field was changed. One has to
tab over the "#" in the left hand column. Or?

If you can suggest a neater approach please do - this is my first
attempt at an org-mode spreadsheet.

Oh yes, can one change the enter mode so that the field only edits if
you press enter first? And then it preselects the previous contents so a
single key other than cursor keys will wipe the previous contents?
Currently if I type "5" in the wages field above then, depending where
the cursor is, I get (for example) 6504.