Re: [Orgmode] HTML export: how to delimit escaped HTML entity?

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] HTML export: how to delimit escaped HTML entity?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 02:00:05 +0200

What's in your XHTML-Head section?

How does your Content-Type line look? That is,

Change the 'utf-8' to what ever encoding your exported HTML files have.
You can detect the real encoding of the files, by visiting souch an
exported HTML file with emacs.

In the modeline on the left, you can see some indicators, the second
of which shows if the encoding is multibyte ('U') or singlebyte ('1').
Click it to see a full description of the files encoding.

|_________________________________________
|-U--
  ^

Click

Some more on this:

The world is big. Consider to change your System to use UTF-8
everywhere.

This is what I do here. Every file (and every filename) is UTF-8
on my system and thus things like

ö ß á Á € ø ·

folder
  │
  ├> file
  └> another_file

are always displayed correct. So is the XHTML export of my Org-files.
The characters are not changed to their html entities at all.

Switch to UTF-8 and get rid of all your local problems :-)

The easiest way to do this is just to install a modern GNU/Linux
distribution (use Debian). Just 1 hour and your done, once for all.

Regards,

 - Sebastian

mtheo wrote:
This is probably bonehead simple, but so far that bone seems to be broken here.

The entities in org-html-entities work fine for me as long as followed by a space (or another \-escaped entity), but I can't seem to discover how they're delimited within a word.

E.g.
    "Ren\eacute " produces  "Ren&eacute; "

which is just fine; but I've failed to find a way to get the correct

    "&Aacute;stor"

out of any combination of "\Aacute" and "stor".

    "\Aacutestor" -> "\Aacutestor"
    "\Aacute stor" (naturally) -> "&Aacute; stor"

and nothing I've tried by way of analogy with shells (e.g. "\{Aacute}stor") or other syntax ("\Aacute\stor"? "\Aacute$stor"? etc.) has produced anything but the same string in the generated code.

I'm sure my ignorance of {insert bonehead lacuna here} is showing, but does anyone know how to enter poor old Sr Piazzolla's given name into an org file so that it will export?

Thanks -- and repeated & continual thanks to Carsten and all other generous contributors.

Mark

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
org-version 6.06b