Re: [Orgmode] adding semantics to properties

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] adding semantics to properties
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 22:30:51 +0200

Hi Austin,

thank you for your detailed post and clearly worked-out proposal.
I can see where you are heading, and some of the ideas are useful.
However, I thing it would be a lot of work to create a system that
uses the existing interfaces in an efficient way.  Since these
interfaces have developed over time, they are not as modular
as one might wish.  Driving coding by real world problems unfortunately
leads to this.

Another way to approach this would be to simply create appropriate
hooks.  For example, we could assign to properties a function that
will be called to edit or set this property, and the user can then
implement different specialized interfaces.  Would you or others be
willing/interested to use such hooks?

- Carsten