[Orgmode] Re: Property for startup visibility?

From: address@hidden
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Property for startup visibility?
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 15:58:57 +0100

On 2008-05-08 Thu, at 13:03, Carsten Dominik wrote:

I am starting to like the idea.

Wow, I've never felt so .... convincing before!

Thought-experiment: Should the VISIBILITY property be automatically inherited?

I dont think so. Better to make possible values for the visibility that affect the entire tree below. For example:

folded
children  (like the local "children" state)
content   (like the global "content" state, but local tree only
all

Yeah, that is clearly a much better idea.

To continue with that thought, may I suggest an additional value of 'invisible'?

invisible: this headline (and content) is folded into the preceding headline
        folded: this headline is visible, but the content under it is invisible

Perhaps there is better term for this. (What are those ellipses called now?) I would use 'invisible' for: 1. calendar headlines in the recent past. Right now I use the :ARCHIVE: tag to prevent unfolding, but in after I sort in chronological order, I still get too many old things showing up at the top of the tree. The down side is that then these items disappear from my agenda, where I sometimes scroll backwards to see what I did on that day.

2. projects that are completed but not yet archived (for me, everything, as I haven't really gotten comfortable with moving subtrees around using the archive mechanism)

3. reference headlines (phone number or booking confirmation numbers) that I don't need when planning, only while doing

I see myself going to my preset visibility (C-u C-u TAB) and looking at my tree in one window. This would complement the agenda view, where doing something may require that phone number, and I have to hit TAB and get a split window.

Please don't hold this suggestion against having a visibility property ;-)

Next thought experiment: I suppose you'll have an immediate reaction on whether a descendant's visibility setting should override the ancestor's or vice versa.

If I bury a task inside a calendar item (like my dad's birthday present in my original email), is it going to get shown (yeah! descendant's setting!) or not (boo!).

Alternatively if I've set a Project headline (always a 2nd level headline in my original file) to ':VISIBILITY: children' but then try to set ':VISIBILITY: folded' at the top level head while I focus on something other area of the file, am I going to see the Project and its children (boo!) or will it be invisibly merged into the ellipses of the ancestor? (Yeah! ancestor's setting!)

Having just written that, my vote is #1. If I need to focus on something for the time being, I'll just use tab. It'll always ignore the visibility property (curses!) ;-)

Hypothetically speaking.

-Ben