Re: [Orgmode] wrong type of quotes in PDF manual

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] wrong type of quotes in PDF manual
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 00:05:33 -0400

Daniel M. German <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a minor "bug". The PDF document uses a different type of quote
> than what emacs expects. For instance, if I cut and paste from the
> manual I get this:

> May I suggest to replace ' with (quote ) in the manual? This error was
> tricky to track, as these quotes look very similar within emacs (I am
> using emacs23)

Unfortunately, this is no help at all to you and will be little
consolation, but there *is* a note in the Org manual (section 1.3,
"Activation") that explicitly warns about this, although I don't know
when it went in:

<quote>

   Important: If you use copy-and-paste to copy lisp code from the PDF
documentation as viewed by Acrobat reader to your .emacs file, the
single quote character comes out incorrectly and the code will not
work. You need to fix the single quotes by hand, or copy from Info
documentation.

</quote>

Also, I tried xpdf and (modulo selecting *all* of the text to be pasted
which is somewhat problematic, at least in my version of xpdf), I was
able to paste and save with the quotes intact. So (from my naive point
of view) it seems that Acroread does indeed mangle things.

Nick