Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:20:59 +0000

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:22:07PM +0000, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Simple feature request:
> >
> > Could we make it optional whether C-c C-c is required to store a note,
> > on a per-template basis?  This makes most sense when it is known in
> > advance that the only things which might need to be changed within the
> > template are already taken care of via %^{foo} prompts.  So when all
> > the prompts have been entered, the final <enter> keystroke will store
> > the note immediately, rather than the user having to type <enter> C-c
> > C-c.
>
> I'm not sure about this.
>
> 1) It's convenient to be able to double-check the content of the
>    *Remember* buffer before remembering it with `C-c C-c'.

It can be yes, but I think it's really a matter of personal taste
applied on a per-template basis.  Personally I would rather minimise
keystrokes to enable rapid-fire conversion of mails into TODOs in the
most effortless manner possible, since if I screw up, I can still
easily go to the destination file and fix the new TODO there.

> 2) What if there are several %^{prompt} and the user finally decided
>    *not* to remember it?  If the buffer is remembered at the final
>    RET, then she won't be able to cancel the note with `C-c C-k'.

C-g before the final RET, or switch to the destination file's buffer
and do an undo?

> 3) `C-c C-c' is really a call to a remember functionnality, not to an
>    org ones.  I guess it's not good practice to override the expected
>    *general* remember behavior...

I'm certainly not suggesting making it the default - only to make it
possible to enable this behaviour for selected remember templates.
But since I get SO many emails every day, I really need to be able to
apply the 2-minute rule of GTD: if the mail requires > 2 minutes of
attention, I need to be able to convert it into a TODO (linking by
message id via the org-mairix stuff) and archive it safely in the
_absolute_minimum_ number of keystrokes.  Otherwise I am constantly in
the "processing" phase of the workflow and never get to the "planning"
and "doing" phases - then the whole system fails miserably :-)