Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: make C-c C-c for storing remember notes optional
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:33:09 +0100

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1) It's convenient to be able to double-check the content of the
>>    *Remember* buffer before remembering it with `C-c C-c'.
>
> It can be yes, but I think it's really a matter of personal taste
> applied on a per-template basis.  Personally I would rather minimise
> keystrokes to enable rapid-fire conversion of mails into TODOs in the
> most effortless manner possible, since if I screw up, I can still
> easily go to the destination file and fix the new TODO there.

Convinced.

>> 2) What if there are several %^{prompt} and the user finally decided
>>    *not* to remember it?  If the buffer is remembered at the final
>>    RET, then she won't be able to cancel the note with `C-c C-k'.
>
> C-g before the final RET, or switch to the destination file's buffer
> and do an undo?

I'm still a bit skeptical here.  See below.

>> 3) `C-c C-c' is really a call to a remember functionnality, not to an
>>    org ones.  I guess it's not good practice to override the expected
>>    *general* remember behavior...
>
> I'm certainly not suggesting making it the default - only to make it
> possible to enable this behaviour for selected remember templates.
> But since I get SO many emails every day, I really need to be able to
> apply the 2-minute rule of GTD: if the mail requires > 2 minutes of
> attention, I need to be able to convert it into a TODO (linking by
> message id via the org-mairix stuff) and archive it safely in the
> _absolute_minimum_ number of keystrokes.  Otherwise I am constantly in
> the "processing" phase of the workflow and never get to the "planning"
> and "doing" phases - then the whole system fails miserably :-)

Okay.  Then each template would have now six elements, the last one
specifiying whether it should be automatically processed or not (being
nil by default).

Whether there are %^{prompt} constructs might be not relevant here: even
for plain templates we might want not to have to C-cC-c them for them to
be remembered, right?

Say for example that you have a template associated with the key "m" and
this key binding:

(global-set-key [(control meta r)] (lambda () (org-remember nil "m")))

The "m" template doesn't require C-cC-c.  If there is %^{prompt} you do
C-M-r then interactively enter the info at the prompt, then you're done.
If there is no %^{prompt} you just C-M-r and you're done (you don't need
to actually *see* what you want to remember...)

I think this would be nice.  But I guess you see my point about
cancelling : with a %^{prompt} it's possible to C-g, but not when there
is no %^{prompt} -- which might be a bit dangerous..  anyway, nice idea.

I hope Carsten will soon stumble on this :)

--
Bastien