Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 00:04:04 +0000

"William Henney" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm not sure about the the last two columns.  Maybe it's simpler to
>> let -- and --- be -- and --- in HTML output as well.
>
> Shouldn't they be `&endash;' and `&emdash;' in HTML?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#a_dtd_Symbols

Yes, thanks.  So we have now:

| Org | HTML    | LaTeX |
|-----+---------+-------|
| \-  | &shy;   | \-    |
| " " | &nbsp;  | ~     |
| --  | &ndash; | --    |
| --- | &mdash; | ---   |

(Please note that you can already obtain the HTML &shy; &nbsp; and
friends by inserting \shy \nbsp etc.  But not having to bother about
special character names in the source file is certainly the right
direction.)

I removed the idea of using the tilde character `~' for inerting a
non-breakable space in Org source file because:

- this is the function of Emacs non-breakable space character ` '

- the tilde char can be used in several other places, and we need to
  keep the handling of special characters as simple as possible...

- this seems too close to the LaTeX convention.

So now: do people think this conversion table is okay?  Too complex?
Incomplete?  Unnecessary?

--
Bastien